Marriage & Divorce , 05.03.2013
Marriage & Divorce
According to Turkish Marriage Legislation and regulations, a Turkish national and a foreigner or two foreigners with different nationalities can get married in Turkey, only before the competent Turkish authorities. Two foreigners from the same nationality can marry either in the offices of their own Country's Embassy or Consulate or before the Turkish authorities. All the marriages to be conducted by the Turkish authorities should be regulated according to te merits and procedural provisions of the Turkish Civil Code and its related regulations.
Whether they are Turkish or foreigners, Turkish relevant authorities do not conduct these marriages, unless the petitioners can provide their marriage licences issued by the proper Civil Status Registry of his or her own Country, that they hold the nationality of, respectively. In the light of this information it is obvious that the married couples cannot again be married in Turkey under the Turkish law.
Conditions for a Valid Marriage
Capacity to marry:
1. Only those persons who have sufficient mental capacity to make fair judgments are allowed to marry. Mental illness is, therefore, a bar to marriage. In addition, a person must have reached the minimum age of 18 to marry.
2. Absence of consanguinity:
Marriage between close relatives is prohibited.
3. Already existing marriage:
Monogamy is one of the essential principles of Turkish family law. A second marriage can not be entered into unless the first is terminated.
4. Waiting period:
Married women whose marriage has been dissolved cannot marry before the expiration of three hundred days from the date of dissolution.
Certain sicknesses, such as epilepsy, hysteria etc., constitute a bar to marriage.
Only civil marriages performed by authorized marriage officers are allowed in Turkey.
Necessary Documents for Marriage:
1. Petition of the marriage. To start an action the groom and bride must file a petition of the marriage called "Evlenme Beyannamesi"
3. Identification Card
4. Birth Certificate
5. Health Certificate
6. 4 passport size pictures of the bride
7. 4 passport size pictures of the groom
8. Certificate of Capacity to Marry. (Single, divorce, widow or widowed.) Foreigners can obtain this certificate from their embassies in Turkey.
Divorce Procedure For a Marriage Registered in Turkey
A divorce decree obtained from U.S. courts does not automatically annul a marriage that was registered or has taken place in Turkey. Any Turkish citizen involved in such a legal separation should file a suit in Turkey to have the U.S. decree recognized by Turkish courts.
The followings are needed:
1. A Power of Attorney to a lawyer in Turkey
2. Original copy of the divorce decree
For more information please call the Consulate General